Friday, May 2, 2014

How We...Celebrate the Season of Easter

In the comments to this post, I said I would write a post to share some of our traditions for the seasons of Lent and Easter.  That post turned out to be rather long.  You can find Part One – things we do in the weeks leading up to Easter – here.  This is part 2 – what we do for Easter Sunday and beyond.
 
On Easter Sunday morning, we re-light all the candles and read the final Lenten Lights devotional about how Jesus has risen from the dead.  We don’t do Easter baskets or candy or egg hunts, but we do present the children with one of RC Sproul’s allegorical picture books.  Have you seen these?  We really like them.  They explain complex theological concepts, like the atonement, in the form of a story.  We already have The Lightlings and The Prince’s Poison Cup and this year gave them The Donkey who Carried a King.   
 
 
Our food traditions are still a bit of a work in progress.  This year I made Hot Cross Buns for breakfast (although I had some icing issues which is why you can’t see the crosses in this picture!)  We usually eat some of our Easter Eggs too.   For dinner, I make a big meal-salad with chicken and hard-boiled eggs and we have some kind of fruit pie or crumble for dessert.
 
 
This year, for the first time, we’re extending the special Sunday devotionals through the season of Easter until Pentecost.  We will keep a similar format to the Lenten Lights devotional series by lighting the candles each week, reading a Scripture passage related to the theme for the week, and placing a corresponding art print on the easel.  I took the Scripture readings and themes from Bobby Gross’ book Living the Christian Year
 
First Sunday after Easter
Doubting Thomas - John 20:19-31
 
Second Sunday after Easter
Emmaus Road - Luke 24:13-23
 
Third Sunday after Easter
The Good Shepherd - John 10:1-30
 
Fourth Sunday after Easter
I Am the Vine - John 15:1-17
 
Fifth Sunday after Easter
Ascension - Luke 24:36-49
Ascension Day itself falls 40 days after Easter, this year it is Thursday, May 29.  That night we will read Acts 1:1-11.
 
Sixth Sunday after Easter
Ascension - Revelation 22
 
Seventh Sunday after Easter (Pentecost)
Pentecost - Acts 2:1-42
 
And there you have it.  Our traditions are always a work in progress, and I always have ideas that I would like to do and yet they haven’t happened yet for one reason or another.  Some of those things include:
 
- Extending our devotional readings to daily, rather than just weekly.  I just haven’t found anything prepared that I like yet and time always slips away from me to organize something myself.
- I’d really love to select some hymns and songs to be sung particularly during this time of year, just as we have Christmas carols in December.  (Anyone have a favorite?)
- My husband would really like to do a Messianic Passover Seder during Holy Week as well.  We did this once with friends a number of years ago and it was a really neat experience.
- I’ve always loved the idea of building an Easter garden like this too, but is one of those things that slips away from me year after year.
 
What traditions does your family have for this Season?
 

2 comments:

  1. I bought that very book this year for my boys and they LOVED it, Jen. I hadn't heard of Sproul's children's books before so I picked up this and the Poison Cup. Magnificent. Thanks for sharing your Sunday devotional readings, too. Another great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! We must be thinking on the same wavelength, then. :) Our kids love the Donkey book too - we've read it multiple times in the last 2 weeks. :)

      Delete